Monday, April 14, 2008

The Bay of Pigs Invasion and The Imponderable.

























.
In the early 1950's I was living with my family a few blocks away from the Almendares River in the city of Marianao. The house that we lived was a two store building, long and narrow, and located in the Columbia Boulevard. We rented the ground floor. It had two big bedrooms and by the end of the house there was, like an annex, a room with a bathroom for the maid. You could only go to this room by using an outside corridor from the kitchen. The maid never lived there so I used it as a studio for reading.

One day I was reading a book and putting it aside I lowered my head a little for thinking. After a while I saw myself standing from the armchair, walking out of the room, and taking the corridor all the way to the end of the house. Standing there I looked to a wilderness lot, just behind my home, and to the two residences at each side of the lot. Then I looked far away in the distance and I realized that I could see very clearly all objects. Looking to the sky I saw some black dots moving in my direction. As they got closer to me I realized that they were warplanes flying inland. After a while the warplanes came back, dogfighting some of them, and the remaining planes went back to the horizon. I followed them with my eyes until they disappeared. I fixed my eyes again deep in the far distance and then I saw the sea and several gray color warships.

Somebody touched my arm, I raised my head and it was the maid with a small cup of just brewed Cuban coffee. I told her what I just saw. She told me, while smiling, "Cuba is a very small country that never can be involved in such war with another country. You were dreaming while asleep and better stop watching war movies in the theater." I laughed and agreed with her opinion. Plain people have a common sense that some of us ignore.

On April 15, 1961, Saturday, I was standing in the living room of my home in Miramar when Mrs. Humbelina Sanchez, a friend of my family, called me very excited from the sidewalk. Once I was there she told me to look to the sky. I saw a twin-engined warplane flying very slowly to the sea. A plume of smoke came out of its tail. I told to myself "go faster, faster . . ." The news in the radio were controlled by Fidel Castro government and for this reason we relied on rumors for news. The military air base Campo Libertad, not too far from my home, was attacked by two B-26 bombers from Cuban exiles. Extensive damaged were reported in the base as well casualties among government soldiers. Two other military air bases were also attacked in other parts of the island. We were told that these aerial attacks were a prelude to a land invasion. In the meantime tens of thousands of people were rounded up by government security forces. Military trucks were seen often in 5th Avenue, and Czech-made four barrel antiaircraft guns were placed in strategic places in the city.

On April 17, Monday, we heard that there was a landing by Cuban exiles expeditionary forces in the Bay of Pigs. There was an intense fighting between the militia and the invaders. I went to work that day to the bank as usual. The news that we received the following day were adverse: the expeditionary forces were retreating back to the beach, all their ammunition were expended, and they were not going to receive any military support from outside. Few days later the defeat of the invaders was complete. In my job I had to stand quietly the sarcastic jokes of the communists.

The Cuban Missile Crisis started in October 22 of the following year and "it is often regarded as the moment in which the Cold War came closest to escalating into a nuclear war."

Looking back to those days I still ask to myself how was possible that a country so small like Cuba could be involved in such war with another country.
.
For further reading click the link below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay_of_Pigs_Invasion
.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_Missile_Crisis
.
Spanish Version - Version en Espanol.


La Invasion de la Bahia de Cochinos y lo Imponderable.

A principios de los años 50 vivía yo con mi familia a pocas cuadras del río Almendares en la ciudad de Marianao. La casa en la que vivíamos era de dos plantas, larga y estrecha, y estaba ubicada en la Calzada de Columbia. Alquilábamos la planta baja. La casa tenía dos dormitorios amplios separados por un baño, a continuación estaba el comedor y por último la cocina. Al final de la casa, como un anexo, había un cuarto con su baño para la sirvienta. A éste se llegaba por un pasillo exterior que se comunicaba con la cocina. La sirvienta nunca vivía allí por lo que yo lo usaba como un cuarto de estudio.

Un día estaba leyendo un libro y poniéndolo a un lado bajé un poco la cabeza para pensar. Después de un rato me ví a mí mismo levantándome del sillón y caminando hacia la puerta del cuarto salí al pasillo exterior de la casa. Ya en el pasillo caminé hasta el final del edificio y me paré junto a un pequeño muro. Detrás de la casa había un solar yermo y a ambos lados del mismo habían dos residencias. Miré entonces lejos en la distancia y me dí cuenta de que podía ver muy claramente todas las cosas. Al mirar al cielo ví algunos puntos negros que se movían en mi dirección. A medida que se acercaban me dí cuenta de que eran aviones de guerra que volaban hacia tierra adentro. Después de un tiempo los aviones de guerra regresaron, algunos peleaban entre ellos y los demas regresaron al horizonte. Los seguí con mi vista hasta que desaparecieron. Fijé mi vista de nuevo en la lejanía y ví el mar y a varios buques de guerra de color gris.

Alguien tocó mi brazo, levanté la cabeza y era la sirvienta que me traía una taza de café cubano recién colado. Le conté lo que había acabado de ver. Sonriendose me dijo "Jorge, Cuba es un país muy pequeño que nunca puede estar enredada en ese tipo de guerra con otro país. Usted estaba soñando mientras dormía y es mejor que deje de ver películas de guerra en el cine." Me reí y asentí con su opinión. Las personas llanas tienen un sentido común que algunos de nosotros pasamos por alto.

El 15 de abril de 1961, sábado, yo estaba parado en la sala de mi casa en Miramar cuando Humbelina Sánchez, una amiga de mi familia, me llamó muy agitada desde la acera. Al llegar a su lado me dijo que mirara al cielo. Ví un avión bimotor de guerra que volaba muy lentamente hacia el mar. Un penacho de humo salía de su cola. Me dije a mí mismo "vé más rápido, más rápido . . ." Las noticias en la radio eran controladas por el gobierno de Fidel Castro y por este motivo nosotros dependíamos de los rumores como fuentes de noticias. La base aérea militar Campo Libertad, no muy lejos de mi casa, fue atacada por dos bombarderos B-26 de los exilados cubanos. Muchos daños se reportaron en la base así como bajas entre los soldados del gobierno. Otras dos bases aéreas militares también fueron atacadas en la isla. Se nos dijo que esos ataques aéreos eran el preludio de una invasión por tiera. Al mismo tiempo decenas de miles de personas fueron recogidas por las fuerzas de seguridad del gobierno. Camiones militares eran vistos a menudo en la 5ta Avenida y baterías antiaéreas "cuatro-bocas" de fabricación checa se veían en lugares estratégicos de la ciudad.

El 17 de abril, lunes, nos enteramos de que hubo un desembarco de una fuerza expedicionaria de exiliados cubanos en la Bahía de Cochinos. Hubo una intensa lucha entre las milicias y los invasores. Yo estaba en mi trabajo en el banco como de costumbre. Las noticias que nos llegaron al día siguiente eran adversas. Las fuerzas expedicionarias se replegaron a la playa, todas sus municiones fueron utilizadas y no iban a recibir ningún apoyo militar del exterior. Pocos días después la derrota de los invasores fue completa. En mi trabajo tuve que soportar en silencio los chistes sarcásticos de los comunistas.

La Crisis de los Misiles en Cuba empezó el 22 de octubre del año siguiente y "es considerada a menudo como el momento en que la Guerra Fría estuvo más próxima a escalar en una guerra nuclear."

Mirando en retrospectiva a aquellos días me pregunto todavía como fue posible que un país tan pequeño como Cuba estuviera implicada en una guerra de tal envergadura con otro país.

Para más detalles hacer click en el enlace de abajo.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crisis_de_los_Misiles

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasi%C3%B3n_de_Bah%C3%ADa_de

.
© Copyright Space Walking XXI 2008. All rights reserved.
.







No comments: