Monday, February 11, 2008

The Hippocratic Oath

Florida is one of the states in the nation with the highest rate of medical malpractice lawsuits. To err is human but to make a mistake by irresponsible carelessness or, worst, for profits is regrettable. Doctors have worldwide a code of ethics as well dentists and other professions.
Hippocrates was a Greek physician born in 460 B.C. on the island of Cos, Greece. He was considered to be the best physician of his time. His treatment of illnes was based on observation and the study of the body. He rejected superstitions.
.
In the Western World the Hippocratic Oath has been traditionally taken by physicians although it is not obligatory to do it. A modern version is being used today and many American medical schools are using alternate pledges. I will print on this page the Classical Version.
.
The classical oath
A NOVA translation of the Oath runs as follows:

I swear by Apollo Physician and Asclepius and Hygeia and Panaceia and all the gods and goddesses, making them my witnesses, that I will fulfill according to my ability and judgment this oath and this covenant:
.
To hold him who has taught me this art as equal to my parents and to live my life in partnership with him, and if he is in need of money to give him a share of mine, and to regard his offspring as equal to my brothers in male lineage and to teach them this art - if they desire to learn it - without fee and covenant; to give a share of precepts and oral instruction and all the other learning to my sons and to the sons of him who has instructed me and to pupils who have signed the covenant and have taken an oath according to the medical law, but no one else.
.
I will apply dietetic measures for the benefit of the sick according to my ability and judgment; I will keep them from harm and injustice.
.
I will neither give a deadly drug to anybody who asked for it, nor will I make a suggestion to this effect. Similarly I will not give to a woman an abortive remedy. In purity and holiness I will guard my life and my art.
.
I will not use the knife, not even on sufferers from stone, but will withdraw in favor of such men as are engaged in this work.
.
Whatever houses I may visit, I will come for the benefit of the sick, remaining free of all intentional injustice, of all mischief and in particular of sexual relations with both female and male persons, be they free or slaves.
.
What I may see or hear in the course of the treatment or even outside of the treatment in regard to the life of men, which on no account one must spread abroad, I will keep to myself, holding such things shameful to be spoken about.
.
If I fulfill this oath and do not violate it, may it be granted to me to enjoy life and art, being honored with fame among all men for all time to come; if I transgress it and swear falsely, may the opposite of all this be my lot.
.
For details click the links below.
.
.
.
Spanish Version - Versión en Español.
.
La Florida es uno de los estados en la nación con la tasa más alta de demandas legales por motivo de malas prácticas médicas. Errar es humano pero hacer un error por un descuido irresponsable o, peor todavía, para obtener ganancias es lamentable. Los médicos de todo el mundo tienen un código de ética así como los odontólogos y otras profesiones. Hipócrates fue un médico griego nacido en 460 A.C. en la isla de Cos, Grecia. Fue considerado el mejor médico de su tiempo. Su tratamiento de las enfermedades se basa en la observación y en el estudio del cuerpo humano. Rechazó las supersticiones.
.
En el mundo occidental el Juramento hipocrático ha sido tradicionalmente tomado por los médicos, aunque no es obligatorio el hacerlo. Una versión moderna se utiliza hoy en día y muchas escuelas de medicina de los Estados Unidos están utilizando promesas alternas. Voy a imprimir en esta página la versión Clásica.
.
Texto del Juramento Hipocrático [editar]
Juro por Apolo el Médico y Esculapio y por Hygeia y Panacea y por todos los dioses y diosas, poniéndolos de jueces, que este mi juramento será cumplido hasta donde tenga poder y discernimiento. A aquel quien me enseñó este arte, le estimaré lo mismo que a mis padres; él participará de mi mandamiento y si lo desea participará de mis bienes. Consideraré su descendencia como mis hermanos, enseñándoles este arte sin cobrarles nada, si ellos desean aprenderlo. Instruiré por precepto, por discurso y en todas las otras formas, a mis hijos, a los hijos del que me enseñó a mí y a los discípulos unidos por juramento y estipulación, de acuerdo con la ley médica, y no a otras personas.
Llevaré adelante ese régimen, el cual de acuerdo con mi poder y discernimiento será en beneficio de los enfermos y les apartará del perjuicio y el terror. A nadie daré una droga mortal aún cuando me sea solicitada, ni daré consejo con este fin. De la misma manera, no daré a ninguna mujer supositorios destructores; mantendré mi vida y mi arte alejado de la culpa.
No operaré a nadie por cálculos, dejando el camino a los que trabajan en esa práctica. A cualesquier casa que entre, iré por el beneficio de los enfermos, absteniéndome de todo error voluntario y corrupción, y de lascivia con las mujeres u hombres libres o esclavos.
Guardaré silencio sobre todo aquello que en mi profesión, o fuera de ella, oiga o vea en la vida de los hombres que no deba ser público, manteniendo estas cosas de manera que no se pueda hablar de ellas.
Ahora, si cumplo este juramento y no lo quebranto, que los frutos de la vida y el arte sean míos, que sea siempre honrado por todos los hombres y que lo contrario me ocurra si lo quebranto y soy perjuro.
.
Para más detalles haga click en los enlaces de abajo.
.
.
.
© Copyright Space Walking XXI 2008. All rights reserved.
.

No comments: